Friday, May 22, 2009

Shin Splints - Counting Calories - And More Randomness

I've started walking... okay, not literally just started walking.... I am 50... that would just NOT be right. Let me re-phrase... I've taking up walking for exercise. Better??? Thought so.... anyway... about three weeks ago, Mickey and I decided that we (I) needed to get some exercise. So we decided that we'd head over to the local high school and utilize their track (which is hard to get sometimes due to track season, but they have a nice sized campus, so we have plenty of paved area to use!) Right from the start my shins have hurt... I've never had that happen before. I used to walk alot (okay, that WAS 10 years ago... but whatever, it was still alot!). I've never had this type of pain when walking. And if it gets too bad, I stop where I am and it goes away, only to return when I start walking again. DON'T LIKE IT!!! Last week I even went and bought new shoes to see if it would help... not so much!! Anyone out there got any advice?? I am all ears!!! I am walking through the pain, as I am determined to do this, but I could use a little help here!!

Also....

Today I have started to journal my calorie intake... and I have to say this is VERY depressing. Here it is... 8:45 AM and I have already used 450 calories, and I should only have something like 1400!!! Wow... so this is going to take more effort than I thought... again... it should be totally worth it, right? Let's face it... I've gotten fat... and yes, I said FAT!!! Those of you who are reading this saying, "You aren't really fat, you have just put on some weight." ... to you I say... STOP BEING DELUSIONAL!!!!! I've seen myself in the mirror, I've cried when I try on clothes, so I KNOW what I'm sayin' here!!!

So the walking and the journaling... I am hoping that they will help with this problem... and I am REALLY hoping that if I drop some weight that my arthritis will ease up... wouldn't that be nice!!

In other randomness...

So You Think You Can Dance came back on last night. I really do enjoy this show... I was happy to see its return... Mickey, on the other hand, was not so happy. Oh well... at least it is summer and daylight is around much longer... he can use SYTYCD time to work in the garden!!!!

After today, only four more school days left and the kids will be on summer break... good-bye quiet time... but I'll be glad for the break... the kids are ready for it. And I am sure that the summer months will literally fly by. Since we took our vacation over spring break this year, I'm not sure what we'll do over the summer, but I do know that there will be some serious pool time involved. (If we ever get it opened!!!)

Have a wonderful Memorial weekend... may the sun shine on your BBQ!!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

You'll be in tight running pants with a great body, doing a mini before you know it :-) If Helen on Biggest Loser can do it - you can do it!

The pain - your shins saying "What the heck are we doing?".... they'll shut up soon!.. that's not a professional diagnosis there!

And every time I heard SYTYCD - do you sing it in your head & go dance, dance, dance.... tell me I'm not alone!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bec on this one...you should also stretch, stretch, stretch and then ice when you get home if they still hurt.

Bec you're not alone i do it too...even when I read the title of the show...So you think you can dance, dance, dance

Amy said...

When you are sitting and reading or knitting or something, write the alphabet in the air with your toes. This helps to stretch and strengthen your muscles around your shins, and helps reduce the shin splints.