Saturday, July 3, 2010

Freedom... What does it mean to you?

Yesterday I killed some time in Meijer before I went to see Eclipse with Carly and some friends. As I was roaming through the store picking up a few odds and ends for our Annual 4th of July gathering I found myself humming along to the music... very patriotic! As the music changed I found myself wanting to belt out the words to the next song, "This is My Country". And then I started to wonder just how many people actually even know that song!

You, being over 50 and coming from a very small town, I think I in a minority here. Not only is my hometown small, but it boasts of having the longest consecutive 4th of July celebration in the USA. This year marks the 180th celebration, and when I was growing up we took our celebration seriously. And to some extent, we still do.

I can remember as an elementary student, attending a small township school, being led in the songs that made us proud to be an American.... "The Star-Spangled Banner", "America, the Beautiful", "God Bless America", "The Battle Hymn of the Republic", "America- My Country tis of Thee"... and yes... even "Yankee Doodle Dandy". I still feel such a sense of pride when I hear these songs... but I'm sure that many people today just don't know them... oh, if they heard them they might be able to come up with a name, but the words? Maybe not... and I find that VERY sad.

This is my country! Land of my birth!
This is my country! Grandest on earth!
I pledge thee my allegiance, America, the bold,
For this is my country to have and to hold!
This is my country! Land of my choice!
This is my country! Hear my proud voice!
I pledge thee my allegiance, Americam, the bold,
For this is my country! To have and to hold!
Lyrics like that... they just aren't out there anymore. If you don't know the tune, just read these words with feeling... they should make you feel a sense of pride!!!!
There are men and women out there today who are working day and night to protect this country and our freedoms... and there are men and women that you pass on the street everyday who have given their service for the same. You may not recognize them as you pass, they don't wear a special tag, or wave a banner, but they served... and they see how we, as a nation, are turning our backs on all that they went to fight for. I'm sure it must make them sad.Take some time to just google Patriotic Songs this weekend and look over the lyrics... pull up a few on You Tube... be proud to call yourself an American.. and thank someone who served so you could be free.
Freedom is something that we've all started to take for granted... and I think we need to get a check on that... because in the blink of an eye, we could find ourselves unable to enjoy the things we do today... I see the enemy beginning to take a step in that direction, and if we don't begin to fall on our knees and ask for God's protection, we will no longer be able to worship Him freely. That is probably one of the most important aspects of freedom for me... drop me a comment and let me know what freedom means for you... I'd love to hear!
Happy 4th of July everyone!



Photobucket

No comments: