Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Baby Shower Cake in Progress

Saturday I spent the day working on a Baby Shower cake for a young couple at church. Just a few pictures to show the progress... which began at 10:30 AM (cakes baked and cooled on Friday!)

First I whipped up some awesome butter cream icing (with a little crisco added for decorating purposes). The cakes were covered in a base coat and allowed to dry while I began to work with the fondant.

I had looked through tons of pictures, but this design is the one I kept coming back to... peas on a pod. So after covering the bottom layer in a pale green fondant, and the top in a pink fondant... the decorating fun began... first... the peas!!!


Next, I added a few edible pearls as the flowers on the vines.... and cut out a few green flowers to add on... using pearls in their centers.

I then added a few swirls to the bottom... and yes... it seems to be a little crooked... but remember... I'm still learning....
then I added a little more design work.... and a little welcome sign.... I found edible markers to use for that...

Another shot of the top....

... and an additional shot of the sign...


And there you have it... a shower cake... along with an extra cake for the additional guests expected... total time to complete 5 hours....

And at 7:30 AM on Sunday morning, the day of the shower, I got a call that she was at the hosptial having her little bundle of joy... so the shower didn't happen! But Abigale made it into the world without any problems... and the cake was to be taken to the family... the additional cake... well... I must say it was very tasty! AND... my brother was on the receiving end of half of it... so it was thrilled! So congratulations to Paul and Noemi on a beautiful baby girl!!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Pictures dont even do it justice on how cute that was!!!!

And the additional cake is just as cute!!!! Lady, you have some talent there in cake decorating!!!! With more practice, you can be on FOOD CHALLENGE or Cake Boss!!!

erica said...

That is amazing!!!! You so have talent!! Seriously this is your calling!!!