Friday, April 10, 2009

A Not So Good Friday

Talk about ups and downs.... Carly has been having a few health issues, and yesterday, I took her to see the doctor. Chances are, she just needs to drink more... increase the volume of her blood so that it flows better... but last night, she began having fluttering and pains in her chest... again. This time... after nearly and hour, they were still there, and getting stronger. So, at 10:30 PM, Carly and I were making our way to the Floyd Memorial ER. Thankfully, after X-rays... the ER doc seemed to think that she has inflammation in her chest wall.... not a heart problem. That was great news, at at 1:00 AM we found our way back home.
Upon our arrival we found that our cat, Oscar, still hadn't come home. He had taken off after supper... and Mickey had been unable to get him back in. At 2:00 AM I was standing at the back door, trying to get him to come home, but he was nowhere to be found.
This morning, he still hadn't shown up, and as Mickey and I left to run some errands we scanned the ditches... praying that we wouldn't find him. When we came home, coming from a new direction, we were able to see him laying off to the side of our yard... we believe that he had been hit by a car. I was broken hearted.
Oscar showed up at our back door nine years ago... he was a little bit of nothing... starving... and in need of a home. We took him to the vet, got him checked out... and he weighed all of 1 pound. Over the years he has grown... and he was a healthy 16 + pounds... one big ol' cat. He was huge, and people always commented on his size when the came to visit. He didn't hesitate to sit right next to Mickey in the mornings as he ate his cereal, knowing full well that when it was all said and done, he was going to get a bite of whatever Mickey was having.
He knew full well the sound of the meat drawer opening in the fridge... you could open the big door and he wouldn't budge, but open the meat drawer and he was right there, hoping a little pinch of lunchmeat would make it his way.
After this many years, he will truly be missed... and as we just lost our house dog, Roscoe, a few months ago, our home is going to seem really empty now.
When I told Michael that Oscar had gone to heaven to be with Roscoe and Jesus, he sat there for a moment and then he said..."Roscoe is excited... he and Oscar are friends just like me and Kailyn and Carly and Alexis... and now Roscoe is playing with his cat. They are happy."
So while this hasn't been the best of Friday's... it being Good Friday I couldn't help but think of Michael's comments in light of Christ's death on the cross... I bet that Jesus was excited when he arrived in heaven... where he could be with his father and with his friends.... and I bet they were happy!
Yeah... our Good Friday wasn't the greatest, but it was nothing in comparison with the Friday that Christ endured for us.... puts it all in a little more perspective, doesn't it!

3 comments:

Terry said...

I'm so sorry about your cat.

I also have to mention that I get chest pain from heartburn, heartburn that doesn't burn or felt like normal heart burn. I didn't even know it until trips to the hospital, doctors, tests, tests, tests. And found I also had inflamation. Once I had taken nexium for awhile and changed my diet, it went away. It will return if I'm not watching what I eat and I can not take Motrin or anything like it or the pain and inflamation develope again. My daughter gets the chest pains too. If it gets really bad I found that simple tylenol takes the chest pain away...just had to let you know just in case...pray your weekend is a joyful one in Christ!

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Kids say it best, don't they?
Have a blessed Easter,
Robbie

Rebecca Jo said...

The simple view of a child... they have it spot on though, dont they!

I broke the news to Ricky about Oscar too...he didnt take it as well as Michael!