Saturday, June 30, 2007

Home at last

We arrived home from Michael's surgery around 11:00. I have finally gotten him fed, surgical area cleaned, medicene down and his space on the couch fixed to his liking. I have eaten a little something and we are watching 'Noggin'. It is absolutely great to be home!

Michael did excellent. His lip revision will look awesome when the swelling goes down. His nose already looks different, and he still has tape on it! It will be interesting to see the finished product when the tape comes off. Right now...he just looks a little pitiful. I felt so bad for him last night, but he is returning to our happy Michael little by little. He would love to get up and play, but he still has to remain "calm" for a bit. Try and keep an active four year old down. Hopefully the Tylenol with codine will help in that department. As long as it doesn't backfire on us!!!!

I was a little nervous yesterday as they took my boy to surgery. Although I knew that God was in control of everything, I still didn't like the feeling of Michael being removed from my control. I couldn't be with him to calm his fears...to hold his hand...to tell him that everything would be all right. All I could do was reassure him that Daddy and I would be there when he woke up. He would have to learn to have faith that we would do as we said. He had a hard time coming out of the anesthesia. He was very tearful...it took two shots of morphine and a does of Tylenol with condine to get him back to sleep. We took him to his room and there he slept for a few hours, although it was fitfully. After his 2:30 AM does of pain meds he finally fell into a deeper sleep. Even though he seemed to be resting comfortably, he would periodically just raise his head to make sure that I was still in my chair. True to my word... I didn't move all night. Each time he looked over I was right where I said that I would be. (I finally convinced Daddy to go and get a few hours of sleep because he would be driving the next day. He reluctantly did so...but I am grateful that he did!!)

Michael awoke at 5:00 AM, bright eyed and more alert, and he and I spent the next hour watching cartoons until Daddy came back to the room. I hope that Michael learned to trust us this weekend...I hope that he learned that we aren't going to leave him, and that we will always be where we say we'll be. He can count on us at all time.

I pray that he will learn through these experiences what I have learned...that God will be there with us at ALL times. No matter what we are going through, when we open our eyes, he will still be there with us, and that we can count on him to remain with us. No matter what HE is in control of everything, and when we are confused, lost, hurting, or worried about a loved one, He will still be in control, and we can rest easy in the knowledge that he will do what he says he will do!

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and your support... we could feel it in Indy...and we are sure that Michael felt it as well. We ask for prayers for a smooth recovery and for the ability to keep this little guy calm for a few days. His stitches come out on Tuesday...and while that isn't very long to wait... to a four year old that can seem like a lifetime!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am glad to know that you all are home and the little guy is already starting to perk up! I love you Michael!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I'm so glad things went well! I was so happy to see those pictures of that little nose this morning! What Michael must have felt to see his family stay by his side when things were probably so confusing to him. What reassurance for him. And like you said - how reassuring to know our God is sitting there in that chair as well - waiting for us when we wake up. Too cool!!!!