Friday, May 30, 2014

The Art of Waiting

If there is one thing I know about myself it is this.... I struggle at times with patience, I am NOT good at waiting.

Patience
 The quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

There are some areas where I am VERY patient. Waiting.... now that is an area where I definitely need some work. Oh, I can wait to be called back for an appointment. The other day I sat in the waiting room for over an hour before I was called back to the exam room. There were those who came in after me who made no bones about the fact that they were hungry, tired of waiting, had other places to be, and that their time was valuable. Was I happy about the wait, no.... but was I patient? I think so.

I have fibromyalgia, and while I always have pain, there are some days that are just worse than others. Most of the time, no one knows. It is just something that I have to live with, and I do. Now, there are times when I might say that I've had a bad day/week. I try not to let my irritation show...I  try not to complain ALL the time. My patience can run thin, it is annoying. It is life.

I do, however, struggle with waiting. I hate waiting to schedule a test. I want it now. I hate waiting to find out the results. I want them now. I hate waiting on other people to do what THEY have to do, so I can do what I have to do. I have always been a "take charge" sort of person, and when I see that something needs to be accomplished, I don't wait around to make it happen, I do it. So it is very hard for me to relinquish control of things, to let them happen in another person's time frame. It is in this situation that I complain, lose my temper, and become irritated. I do them all, and this accomplishes nothing. I must still wait.
 
Today, the chorus of a song runs through my mind... over and over.... and it based on this verse:

 those who wait upon the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will rise up on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31



Another translation uses the word hope in place of the word wait. I like that.... hope in the Lord. If I say that I am turning all things over to God, that I am placing my situation in HIS hands while I wait, then I can have HOPE!!! He already KNOWS the answers to the questions that are being asked. He is already IN my situation. He will renew me daily. He will give me strength to face anything that life throws my way. 

So today I choose to wait with hope, knowing that my Father has me in the palm of his hand. Today I rejoice that he walks beside me, even when I am walking through the unknown. As the chorus to the hymn ends.... " teach me Lord, teach me Lord to wait".

Have a Blessed Day!
Lynn

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

<<<>>>>
Waiting is the worst... is there anything good waiting for? I mean even when its good, waiting is bad... when its bad, waiting is even MORE miserable....
God teaches us a lot in working through patience in waiting... but He still works :)