Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thoughts on Camp

With the final issue of the paper finally off to the printer, I have started to prepare for a few up-coming events... the first of which is 3rd Grade Camp. I've realized a few things during this prep time.....

This will be my 3rd year to go to 3rd Grade Camp... and I love it. Two years ago I went and I had a broken foot... it was hysterically funny... really!!! A week or so before we left I stepped of a curb incorrectly and broke a couple of bones in my left foot. That same week, Jeremy Kane, who was also signed up to go, blew out his knee and had to have surgery. When we showed up for service at church our camp Dean, Sha Marcum, had a "deer in headlights" look about her. She even announced from the front that she might need back ups because it appeared that a portion of her camp staff was wounded! Jeremy and I both assured her that we still intended to go, and we did. Bob Marcum, who attends every year, managed to get a golf cart and he hauled Jeremy and I around (WHEN he remember to pick me up!!)... and Jeremy's dad, Phil, even came and helped Jeremy get around in a motorized wheelchair. We were the "Gimp Squad for God" that year... and we still had a great time.

Last year, just prior to camp, I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis, and I have to say, I was in a great deal of pain at the time. I still opted to go, and had a blast. It took me a little while to hike up to the campfire, and there were a few times where I was just plain worn out from the day and the pain, but in the end, it was worth it all.

This year, well... nothing is broken, but I still have the OA. I have been working at getting it under control, and things are better. I guess I just actually deal with it better now than I did then. Will I be able to hike to the campfire? Sure... I'm just guessing it will still take me some time to get it accomplished! That's okay... the time I get to spend with this kids makes it all worthwhile!

Okay, by now you are asking yourself... where is she going with all this... so here it is...

While preparing for my lesson on the power of faith, I realized that through my previous two experiences with camp, I have had to rely on faith to get me through. Faith that God would provide me with the energy needed to keep up with 3rd graders. And in each instance God has pulled me through the 2 1/2 days of camp with flying colors. And if you look at the people that are mentioned in our lesson this year, they all had tremendous faith, in spite of their limitations.

Moses is mentioned in this lesson, and we are looking at Moses and the exodus in our VBS as well.. and you know... it took a great deal of faith for him to accomplish what God required of him. He didn't let his limitations (inability to speak clearly, age, relationship to Pharaoh) hinder his desire to fulfill God's call on his life. I believe that it should be the same for us.

Is God calling you to work at VBS, or go to camp, or participate in a mission trip? Do you feel that you have limitations? Maybe your health, your financial status, your lack of "bible knowledge".... this list could go on and on... but the upshot of this is simple... YOU limit yourself... God... who is calling you has NO LIMITS in what he can accomplish THROUGH YOU!!! So heed the call... and remember... you aren't doing this on your own... God is accomplishing his work THROUGH you and he will equip you to finish the job!!!! Even if you are broken....

3 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

"Even if you are broken"....WOW! I think God uses the broken so mightly too!

Joe Rollins said...

Amen!

Courtney said...

Very nice way to call out the troops! I know that I still learn tons when I teach! BTW, I had fun being a dorm mom with ya!