Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Morning Glory


A couple of years ago my sister handed me a bag of tiny black seeds and said that they were morning glories. So, I planted them in the spring and I got a few pretty purple flowers. Now, two years later, I have a mound of flowers that greet me each day. It is really great to walk into the kitchen, look out onto the deck and see such a beautiful sight.

The wild thing about these flowers is that by noon, they are are closed up for the day, leaving only the leaves as evidence that they were there at all.

I can't help but think of our Christian walk when I look at these flowers. When we walk into a church on Sunday morning we are all smiles, just waiting to see what the Lord has in store for us. By the time the service is over, our noon meal eaten, and the kitchen cleaned, we have closed up shop on the spiritual side of our lives, and we are left without the "glory" we had that morning.

Maybe we need to look at things from a different viewpoint... instead of viewing the vines (or our "weekday lives") as empty, we need to be anticipating what is to come. Wouldn't it be cool if those who saw us on Monday's were watching us with anticipation...wondering just what we might do next that would bring Glory to God? It might just put a whole new spin on the words Morning Glory!!!!

No comments: